Saturday, October 10, 2009

Trick or Treat! – Doll Collecting

Maybe it's the cooler weather. Maybe it's that I'm beginning to feel "caught up". Whatever the reason, I decided to open a few more doll boxes to see what I could discover. And lo and behold, the words "Trick of Treat" jumped out at me as I opened one of the first boxes in my stack. How timely is that?

When I anticipate opening a doll box, I smile. When I opened the Trick or Treat doll box, I laughed. Not because the doll was funny, but because she was so darned cute! The bisque porcelain doll is named Melissa. Melissa was issued by the Danbury Mint as part of the Melissa collection by doll sculpture, Elke Hutchens in 1991.

She is dressed for Halloween's great adventure – Trick or Treat! Her hand-tailored costume is of a cat, which couldn't be more appropriate as I am a cat lover. She is ready to collect her treats with her little plastic pumpkin just like the one some of us used in our trick or treat days.

Others in the Melissa collection that are included on www.kfcollectibles.com are Melissa – Christmas Morning, and Melissa – Valentine's Day.

"Christmas Morning Melissa" - Danbury Mint – 1991 – Sculpted by Elke Hutchens


"Melissa" by Elke Hutchens is a charming and lovable collector doll of the Melissa collection created by the acclaimed doll sculptor, Elke Hutchens. This doll depicts a little girl all dressed up for Christmas morning. "Melissa's" head, arms and legs are crafted of fine bisque porcelain. Her hand-tailored holiday ensemble consists of a red and white striped Christmas nightie with a wide ruffle around the bottom that is lavishly decorated with lace, red satin ribbon inserts and embroidered floral appliqués. She also has a fleecy robe completely lined with white satin and trimmed with delicate lace. Her accessories include two candy canes, a tiny toy teddy bear, and a Christmas stocking.

"Be My Valentine Melissa" - Danbury Mint – 1991 – Sculpted by Elke Hutchens

"Be My Valentine Melissa" by Elke Hutchens is a charming and lovable collector doll of the Melissa collection created by the acclaimed doll sculptor, Elke Hutchens. This doll depicts a little girl all dressed up for Valentine's Day. "Be My Valentine Melissa's" head, arms and legs are crafted of fine bisque porcelain. Her hand-tailored ensemble consists of a pink dress with a white lace pinafore. She is lavishly decorated with lace, pink satin ribbon on her dress and in her hair. Her accessories include a heart shaped box of Valentine's Day candy which says "I love you daddy".

I hope you enjoyed Melissa's favorite holidays.

Trick or Treat!
Thanks for visiting!

No comments: